TLP
Careerand job forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to become a freelancer but I don’t really know where to start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to become a freelancer but I don’t really know where to start!

I’d like to take a step and become a freelance writer but I don’t really know where to start. Has somebody good advice to share?

There is so much to consider when becoming a freelancer but as a starting point you should look at the demand for freelance writers and how much you can charge for your articles or time. This way you can work out roughly how much money you would be able to make and whether this is feasible for you to live off. One of the good things about being a freelance writer is that you can write from home so you aren't restricted to just providing content to businesses in your area which gives you a much wider pool of potential clients. If you think you can make it work financially then you will need to look at how you want to set up your business (the legal structure e.g. sole trader/limited company etc.) which is when it gets into the more nitty gritty of running your own business. However a good freelance accountant should be able to help you with this if you get to this stage. Good luck!

Comment

Its also worth trying freelancing on the side of your main job. This will give you a taster and if you absolutely hate it, you still have your job to fall back on.

Comment

Once you have decided to go for it, get yourself on sites such as People Per Hour and Freelance UK Directory. Its a great way of letting the clients come to you and its cheaper and easier than sorting your own website.

Comment

I think a lot of people don't realise that going freelance means that you are running a business so you will need to make sure you have certain business skills.

Comment

Working...
          X